Kainga Rua Takitimu Marae Emergency Preparedness Project
In such uncertain times with climate changes and extreme weather events, we with Te Puni Kokiri worked with local marae, Waipatu, Omahu Waiohiki and Te Haroto Marae to be able to stand up in a civil defence emergency event with resources and training.
What did we achieve
1. Marae champions on behalf of their marae
2. Marae resilience plans drafted
3. Civil defence and first aid training wananga
4. Maraes are able to connect, coordinate and support each other in the event of an emergency operation.
5. Stakeholders such as Civil Defence and Red Cross have been engaged for future sustainability
6. Marae infrastructure such as backup power and containers to store emergency equipment and supplies ordered and to be installed
Tia Tomoana Waipatu Marae Champion
“I completed my First Aid & Psychological First Aid courses through the Kainga Rua Wananga Program, which aims to build Marae Resilience in the case of an emergency. Only days after receiving the certificate, I found myself to be one of the first on the scene of a car accident and was able to utilise the skills I learnt to assist the injured and secure the area from further accidents and hazards. There is courage in knowing what to do in these times. I am thankful for this essential training. Mauriora!